posted on August 31, 2018
Compass Health is recalling the replacement cushion seals for its Probasics Brand Zzz-Mask SG Full Face CPAP Mask. The U.S. Food & Drug Administration has determined that this recall qualifies as a Class I recall, which it deems “the most serious type of recall. Use of these devices may cause serious injuries or death”.
According to a press release from the FDA, “Compass Health is recalling the replacement cushion seals for the Probasics Brand Zzz-Mask SG Full Face CPAP Mask due a design change made to the cushion seal replacement part and accompanying elbow replacement part that causes the seal to be incompatible with the mask. While no complaints or injuries have been reported, the use of the new cushion with the previous design of the mask could result in an air leak that interrupts therapy. The use of the affected mask seal may cause serious adverse health consequences, including increased risk of bronchitis or pneumonia, apnea, high blood pressure, heart attack, or death.”
Compass Health issued an Urgent Recall Field Correction Notice in June to affected customers. Individuals affected by the recall have been instructed to:
- Review the recall notice and ensure appropriate staff and customers are aware of the issue.
- Advise customers of the proper cushion and elbow combination - Any consumer using an incompatible cushion/elbow combination should be instructed to discontinue use of the mask and contact their dealer for a replacement kit.
- Dispose of all affected product(s) in-stock in accordance with the facility's destruction protocol - Affected product does not need to be returned to Compass Health.
- Contact Compass Health for replacement kits.
- Complete and return the Recall Field Response Form to Compass Health Brands Corporation within 15 days of receipt by fax at 440-572-4261 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Customers who have questions or need additional information or support related to this recall should contact Compass Health Brands Corporation Customer Support at (800) 526-8051 Monday - Friday 8:00 am Eastern Standard Time – 5:00 pm Eastern Standard Time.
Health care professionals and consumers may report adverse reactions or quality problems they experience using these devices to MedWatch: The FDA Safety Information and Adverse Event Reporting Program either online, by regular mail or by FAX to 1-800-FDA-0178.