Entries for September 2019
September 04, 2019
Falling in the home results in millions of emergency room visits each year. And as a person ages, the risk of falling and sustaining serious injury becomes even greater. The National Institutes of Health (NIH) has tips to help you reduce your risk of falling:
- Talk openly with your health care provider about falls.
- Find out about the side effects of any medicine you take.
- Stay physically active to improve your balance and strength.
- Have your eyes and hearing checked regularly.
- See your health care provider about any foot problems. Make sure to discuss proper footwear.
- Make your home safer. Remove things you can trip over from stairs and walkways. Have grab bars and non-slip mats in bathrooms.
- Hold on to handrails when using stairs.
The NIH also has tips on fall-proofing your home which can be viewed here.
Learn more about fall prevention from the NIH by clicking on this link: Preventing Falls: Tips to Keep You on Your Feet